Our theme these two weeks is ‘Transitioning to REAL FOOD’.
These weeks were actually inspired by a chat I had with a dear friend who’s young son has sensory issues that can make meal-times very challenging. Like many of us, my friend’s primary concern in just getting her son to eat SOMETHING! Little children often find it hard to sit still and prefer to snack while they play, so we need to make sure they are getting more in them that animal crackers and raisins! These thoughts inspired me to throw out some new nutrient-dense snacks kids and grown-ups can eat on go.
There are of course the standard go-to ‘healthy’ snacks of protein bars, bananas and hard boiled eggs… but I wanted to get creative! I spent the last two weeks quizzing mamas everywhere on how they get unprocessed snacks into their busy lives. I know you will love these ideas!
My top 12 Unprocessed, Nutrient-rich Snacks – from Bethany Reid
1. The Smoothie: It’s a secret powerhouse! Pack in berries, greens, protein, vitamins, omega oils… try our Popeye’s Bruiser Purple Smoothie
2. Fresh Guacamole and Sliced Cucumbers: You can make your own or purchase snack sized containers at most Grocery stores and even Target. Great for lunch boxes or snacking between business meetings!
3. Olives: Rich in healthy fats and Vitamin E.
4. All Natural Beef Jerky: Simply a great source of protein!
5. Organic Fruit Leathers: A GREAT alternative to those nasty ‘ fruit snacks’ which really contain very little fruit. Try making your own!
6. Kale Chips: Yet another way to eat your greens.
7. Dried Seaweed: Filled with antioxidants and vitamins…it really IS a hit!
8. Hummus and Veggie Chips: Purchase Veggie Chips instead of the regular potato chips for a nutrient rich and salty snack.
9. Jicama and Ranch Dressing: Never buy the chemical filled variety again and try making your own Ranch from againstallgrain.com
10. Cinnamon Sprinkled Apple Slices: Transform a regular apple by simply sprinkling a pinch of cinnamon on the freshly cut slices!
11. Popsicles: Freeze freshly squeezed juice or smoothies into your own pops and give your household a vitamin boost instead of a sugar high!
12.‘Fire Ants on a Log’: Celery filled with cinnamon almond butter and topped with dried cranberries. Almond butter is easier than peanut butter for many little tummies to digest and has an incredible amount of calcium too!
Jicama and Against all Grain’s homemade ranch sauce.
Sliced organic Granny Smith apples with cinnamon.
Have some winning CLEAN snacks we didn’t mention? Post them in our comments below!